11 April 2006

The wonder of words....

I've started posting my words for the week on my cube wall at work. Nothing really flamboyant, I don't want people to know just how many words I don't know. I'm never not amazed at how misleading words can be. For example, today's word is sartorial. I try to pull some meaning out of the word before I look it up to see how close I am to the implied meaning.

Sartorial, to me, sounds like a blended word or sarcasm and editorial. So, a sarcastic editorial.

In reality it is thus:

Sartorial: of or relating to a tailor or tailored clothes; broadly of or relating to clothes.

I can use sartorial as a sarcastic editorial, that works for me, but how do you use this word to enhance another word....

Another word for the week for me is Ascetic

Ascetic: 1) Practicing strict self denial as a measure of a personal and especially Spiritual discipline. 2) Austere in appearance, manner or attitude.

So I guess I could make someone a sartorial ascetic, but no one would know what I was trying to say any more than I know what I'm trying to say. Less known words are fun to pull out of your hat when you're in a discussion with someone but when you write for the general public, you have to stay with the more comon words. I guess that's the true anathema of being a writer.

No comments: